How is possible to grow hops in Chiangmai?

Introduce yourself to fellow brewers here

How is possible to grow hops in Chiangmai?

Postby inpiale » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Hello friend,
i'm looking for the answer to grow hops in Chiangmai and hops rhizome or seed.
another topic said that not possible in Thailand but i heard somebody said at Pai can grow hops.
i like to plant a good product and will be a supplier for next time.
How is possible to running craft drink business in Chiangmai Thailand?
My plan grow every ingredient in my farm and brew in my barn.
inpiale

Re: How is possible to grow hops in Chiangmai?

Postby onesnzeros » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Not sure how you go about importing rhizomes? Try asking these lads…
https://www.facebook.com/DevaFarmCafe/
It's most definitely possible, i've been at P`Chit's place when some extremely excited fellows walked in with a jarful of Bangkok grown hops!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll have a pint, and another one
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby Bailorgana3 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 am

I grow in nan now. You can import rhizomes but a lot of it comes down to how the customs official is feeling that day.
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby inpiale » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:49 am

onesnzeros wrote:Not sure how you go about importing rhizomes? Try asking these lads…
https://www.facebook.com/DevaFarmCafe/
It's most definitely possible, i've been at P`Chit's place when some extremely excited fellows walked in with a jarful of Bangkok grown hops!

Thank you for answer that a good sign!
inpiale

Postby inpiale » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:52 am

Bailorgana3 wrote:I grow in nan now. You can import rhizomes but a lot of it comes down to how the customs official is feeling that day.

It is possible to buy some from you then teach me how to grow i can go to nan by the way i'm free
inpiale

Postby bilbofarang » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Customs is the issue when ordering abroad. This is why I prefer that we find a source here in Thailand.

In my past 1/2 dozen orders, NADA got through. Last year I got a seed order through but all the seeds were dead.

It's over $50 USD for a PHYTO-CERTIFICATE to get rhizomes sent here from USA by the legitimate sources of PNW rhizome suppliers, then add in the hop cost, toss in the odds of getting past customs, and your talking about $100 loss on every roll of the dice.

The issue here is a THAI has to step forward and offer HOP rhizomes and/or seeds to us FARANG who wish to grow hops.

I grew Hops for 20+ years in PNW, and looking at the DEVA photos they offer and the fact their planted in pot's, and the yield is small and sickly, back in Oregon it was normal to have 20 feet tall hop vines in early summer and 1,000's of hop flowers bigger than your thumb by August. Getting those kinds of yields & quality size here in Thailand will most likely be impossible. Also in USA we budget about 1 sq-meter of soil per plant, in the DEVA photo's they show the plant's in tiny little 1 liter bucket's. Crazy IMHO. I can understand having a greenhouse in Thailand, you have to keep your potted plant's off the ground, otherwise the ant's will devastate all. IMHO once your going with a mature plant over 1 meter tall it needs to be in the ground so its roots can expand. Also ton's of chicken poop is what I found works best. I think here in Thailand with the pest problem you would have to use lots of insecticide to control pests on the ground. Here in North Thai most villagers I know keep a sprayer filled with water and moth-balls and they spray their vegetables every time they see an ant on their crop. That said, moth-ball flavoring and/or smell would not create a very pleasant beer ;)

I think there is a chance in Nan ( high elevation ), Pai ( mae-hong=son ), chiang-mai, anywhere over 1000 meter elevation, cold temp most of the time.

The Deva deal of trying to greenhouse in BKK is insane, unless you have a refrigerated greenhouse with ice-floors for cooling, and then you would be talking about HOP's with the energy cost included of being 30,000 THB/kg, ... ( current import price is 3,000 THB/kg ).

For those who live in North Thailand, at high elevation, there should be no problem in growing hops. But we'll never see the yields and quality as found in Willamette Valley and/or Yakima ( washington ).

Regarding the customs issue, I have yet to find the law where it is illegal to import hop seed's into Thailand, but that said in the past year, every single seed order I have placed abroad the package was opened and all hop seeds and related were removed the normal seeds were delivered. Same order's.

Given there are 1/2 dozen outfits in BKK selling homebrew kit, you would think one of these people would take the initiative to sell hop-seeds and/or rhizomes. Back in the USA, if a customer came calling for a product, you didn't say "I don't have it", you found it, and you added it to your product list.

Here in Thailand nobody seems to want to bother with seeds and/or rhizomes. It's not like its real competition, the home grown hops in Thailand will never come close to the yield, ,size, and quality of say Cascade Hops from Oregon. Never. For those making a real imperial IPA they will always have to buy imported High-Alpha Acid Hops.

Personally I would like to grow hops as an adjunct for cooking pared meals with beer, like fresh young hop-shoots sauteed in beer over rice.

I have no illusion that growing hops in Thailand will over take the PNW. It seems that Hop's do best around a latitude of 44-46 degrees.

The wine grape business in Thailand is much the same, having been to a dozen winery's in Thailand I have yet to see a crop of wine grapes that came close to anything in North America at 45 degree North. The vines here seem to be puny, and the yield minimal, lastly only sweet wines to be seen, never seen anybody grow full body red, or decent chardonnay.

There seems to be a perception that hop's are beer, if you read the aliexpress.com websites that sell hop-seeds on internet from China, an idiot would surmise that these seeds will grow beer. That line of thinking may be why all orders are getting grabbed coming in.
Given that there are legitimate culinary uses of hop's they should be 100% legal to grow.

In summary growing hop's is fun, and that's the only reason we want to do it, for the fun of it.
bilbofarang
Sober

Postby bilbofarang » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Answering your question.

How is it possible?

Well its best to stick with native sources here in Thailand.

When you purchase HOP's here in Thailand in the form of pellet or whole-hop, you will find seeds 'post boil'.

Thus you simply purchase whole hops, rather than bust open pellets and find the seeds in the whole-hops. When the seeds are found soak them in water, and if they sink after a few hours, then you know they're ok.

U can place the seeds in fridge with some gauze wetted in plastic box, or put the seeds in a pot with potting soil ( DIN here in Thailand, now about 30 THB per bag ).

Getting hop's going from seeds is very hard, but if you already grow herbs, and if you know how to grow Rosemary, which is VERY HARD, then hop's will be the same.

Once the plant is established, get it into a larger pot. Say at 10 cm. For a plant over 50cm I would prefer raised bed method on the ground. The soil under the raised bed must be deep ( say 1 meter ) and soft, and pre-developed with chicken poop & 'din' ( potting soil ). The raised bed should have drainage. I usually do the chicken poop biz when the soil is being developed, before the hop's and/or rhizomes are placed, generally the chicken poop is too hot for the plant and/or rhizome. I usually only repeat the chicken poop routine at the begin of every seasonal cycle, in PWN that be March/April before the May shoots appear.

Here in Thailand you can have an endless grow season, but hop plants have a life of say six months. Once one has seen his plant 'die', then dig out a few 10cm root sections ( rhizomes ) and toss them in a plastic bag and put in freezer ( 5C ), wait a month, and then rinse and repeat, place the rhizomes back in the developed soil, and water very little. The plant should take off again. The hop's need to fooled that they went through the winter freeze and their dormant period.

Here in North thailand its very cold Dec-February, thus one could have one grow season from March-July, I prefer the all year round method, say having 3 season's and always keeping some rhizomes in the fridge freezer to start new plants every few months.

Down in BKK where its hotter than hell all year round, unless you have a refrigerated green house, I don't see how it could be done correctly. In North Thai, 5C december-february every night & morning is quite common,

Scale is the issue, a hobbyist can keep a few dozen rhizomes in the freezer and play around and grow in the north, but a large scale operation in south thailand would have huge energy bills, all for a dismal crop.

Lastly, I have yet to see EVER a hop crop here in Thailand, that is even 10% of what we get in the PNW.
bilbofarang
Sober

Postby Bailorgana3 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:44 pm

Good to see another guy from Oregon! My wife and I moved here from Salem. You're dead on about growing up north. My farm is at about 1400 meters and it's just like back home . 24 foot plants are the norm and we had one mutant bine ball last month that we pulled 3 kilos off . We get good yield, now it's a matter of getting more plants. We only have about 50 right now. Importing is tricky. I usually just get an unmarked box from my grower in the states
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby David 1963 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:47 pm

bilbofarang wrote:Customs is the issue when ordering abroad. This is why I prefer that we find a source here in Thailand.

In my past 1/2 dozen orders, NADA got through. Last year I got a seed order through but all the seeds were dead.

It's over $50 USD for a PHYTO-CERTIFICATE to get rhizomes sent here from USA by the legitimate sources of PNW rhizome suppliers, then add in the hop cost, toss in the odds of getting past customs, and your talking about $100 loss on every roll of the dice.

The issue here is a THAI has to step forward and offer HOP rhizomes and/or seeds to us FARANG who wish to grow hops.

I grew Hops for 20+ years in PNW, and looking at the DEVA photos they offer and the fact their planted in pot's, and the yield is small and sickly, back in Oregon it was normal to have 20 feet tall hop vines in early summer and 1,000's of hop flowers bigger than your thumb by August. Getting those kinds of yields & quality size here in Thailand will most likely be impossible. Also in USA we budget about 1 sq-meter of soil per plant, in the DEVA photo's they show the plant's in tiny little 1 liter bucket's. Crazy IMHO. I can understand having a greenhouse in Thailand, you have to keep your potted plant's off the ground, otherwise the ant's will devastate all. IMHO once your going with a mature plant over 1 meter tall it needs to be in the ground so its roots can expand. Also ton's of chicken poop is what I found works best. I think here in Thailand with the pest problem you would have to use lots of insecticide to control pests on the ground. Here in North Thai most villagers I know keep a sprayer filled with water and moth-balls and they spray their vegetables every time they see an ant on their crop. That said, moth-ball flavoring and/or smell would not create a very pleasant beer ;)

I think there is a chance in Nan ( high elevation ), Pai ( mae-hong=son ), chiang-mai, anywhere over 1000 meter elevation, cold temp most of the time.

The Deva deal of trying to greenhouse in BKK is insane, unless you have a refrigerated greenhouse with ice-floors for cooling, and then you would be talking about HOP's with the energy cost included of being 30,000 THB/kg, ... ( current import price is 3,000 THB/kg ).

For those who live in North Thailand, at high elevation, there should be no problem in growing hops. But we'll never see the yields and quality as found in Willamette Valley and/or Yakima ( washington ).

Regarding the customs issue, I have yet to find the law where it is illegal to import hop seed's into Thailand, but that said in the past year, every single seed order I have placed abroad the package was opened and all hop seeds and related were removed the normal seeds were delivered. Same order's.

Given there are 1/2 dozen outfits in BKK selling homebrew kit, you would think one of these people would take the initiative to sell hop-seeds and/or rhizomes. Back in the USA, if a customer came calling for a product, you didn't say "I don't have it", you found it, and you added it to your product list.

Here in Thailand nobody seems to want to bother with seeds and/or rhizomes. It's not like its real competition, the home grown hops in Thailand will never come close to the yield, ,size, and quality of say Cascade Hops from Oregon. Never. For those making a real imperial IPA they will always have to buy imported High-Alpha Acid Hops.

Personally I would like to grow hops as an adjunct for cooking pared meals with beer, like fresh young hop-shoots sauteed in beer over rice.

I have no illusion that growing hops in Thailand will over take the PNW. It seems that Hop's do best around a latitude of 44-46 degrees.

The wine grape business in Thailand is much the same, having been to a dozen winery's in Thailand I have yet to see a crop of wine grapes that came close to anything in North America at 45 degree North. The vines here seem to be puny, and the yield minimal, lastly only sweet wines to be seen, never seen anybody grow full body red, or decent chardonnay.

There seems to be a perception that hop's are beer, if you read the aliexpress.com websites that sell hop-seeds on internet from China, an idiot would surmise that these seeds will grow beer. That line of thinking may be why all orders are getting grabbed coming in.
Given that there are legitimate culinary uses of hop's they should be 100% legal to grow.

In summary growing hop's is fun, and that's the only reason we want to do it, for the fun of it.

I think part of the problem in Thailand is local growers producers trying to copy other parts of the world that are too different. There's no way a Thai hop farm could churn out hops like cascade or fuggles or saaz like farms do where those hops come from. They would be much better off looking for a varietal of hops that grows in Yunnan or Kashmir and using that. Choose a plant that is half way to Thailand and have the patience to let the plant adapt through several "generations" to (northern) Thai conditions. I don't know of any hops grown in places like Yunnan and Kashmir, but I would be surprised if there isn't a local species of hop in at least one of those regions - rather like the Yunnan version of truffles.

The same applies to Thai wine. All these vineyard owners are trying to make Bordeaux type reds in Thailand. If they went to somewhere like Andalucia and studied how wine is made there, they would have a fighting chance of producing something decent.
David 1963
Swaying round like a HomePro wardrobe!

Return to Guestbook