Three bears

Any good bars or beer recommendations, heres the place to say what and where!!!

Three bears

Postby David 1963 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:57 pm

This is a new brewpub quite a long way down Sukhumvit 16. The pub has five beers, made on the premises, and those are the only beers they sell. I had a wheat beer that was just about OK and an IPA that was quite good, but tasted like pretty much every American version of an IPA I've drunk this year. A friend had a stout that was very bitter with coffee overtones. These beers are served by the American pint and happy hour prices work out at around 225 baht per drink, and after 7pm the price rises quite a bit. In other words, the brewed-in-Bangkok beer is more expensive than superior quality imported beers served in more central locations around Bangkok.

The food on offer is well cooked, but overpriced. My friend really enjoyed his brisket sandwich. There were some nice bar snacks provided free of charge, though. Service was very good - attentive without being intrusive.

For entertainment, the pub provided a Thai duo playing a mixture of well known songs, and there were plenty of TV screens on the walls showing live football. The seating was hard and uncomfortable. This is quite a large pub, with some seating outside.

This could be a really good addition to the bar scene in Bangkok, even though it's a taxi or motorbike ride down Soi 16. Unfortunately, the beer prices are a rip off and I can't recommend it.
David 1963
Swaying round like a HomePro wardrobe!

Re: Three bears

Postby rivetcatcher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:18 am

For me the point of having a brew pub would be to supply beers at a reasonable cost by cutting out the extortionate import taxes.

I would be looking to sell beers in the 110-150 baht per pint mark. The problem in Bangkok is a lot of the people pay the prices because it's seen as fashionable. Beer should be accessible to all in my opinion.
Planning: Rivet Catcher Rev2, Rivets SNPA version 2
Brewing:
Conditioning: Rivet Catcher Rev1
Drinking:
Drank:All Grain Zombie Dust clone, Rivets SNPA
rivetcatcher
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Postby mightyyt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:01 pm

i wonder if the building rents make selling cheap pints economically unfeasible in the city, esp for a start up brew pub....
mightyyt
Wobbly legs

Postby mgll » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:25 am

We all know how much it costs to fill a keg with a decent beer so let's not sugar coat it! Some of the prices being charged are very steep. Many of these guys make great beers but some I have tried have been inconsistent, especially beer coming from kegs. I don't know how they're force carbonating these beers but I've been handed of some pretty flat/warm glasses of beer at a few pop up events now. I think around the 160B mark is my limit for a glass. 150B per pint would be amazing Rivet. That would make craft more accessible to so many more people who like a beer now and then, but are put off by the +200B.

I wonder what batch volumes the beers are made in? Bulk ingredients are managable here and gas and electricity are cheap. Perhaps man hours is driving up the cost?
mgll
Tipsy

Postby David 1963 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:53 pm

The pub is big and sort of in central Bangkok. On the other hand, it's a long way down a soi that very few non-residents visit. I think they're ripping off the customers. There's no shortage of big bars downtown that charge 100 - 150 baht per pint for local lager. I'm pretty sure the rent for those other bars is at least as much (per square metre) as the Three Bears.
David 1963
Swaying round like a HomePro wardrobe!

Postby Bigbossapna » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

good beer
Bigbossapna

Return to Bar and beer reviews