Using Whirlfloc in other brews

This is the place to discuss any brews you may have on other than beer. Do you make wine? Cider? Spirits? If you do we want to hear about it!!!

Using Whirlfloc in other brews

Postby David 1963 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm thinking of making some more cider, and possibly some wine. In both cases I would extract the juice from fresh fruit, and this means the liquid I'm trying to ferment is very cloudy and has a lot of sediment. I know Whirlfloc is supposed to be added to boiling wort to remove sediment in beer, but would it also work (perhaps not quite so well) on fruit juice at room temperature?
David 1963
Swaying round like a HomePro wardrobe!

Re: Using Whirlfloc in other brews

Postby mgll » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 pm

I think Bentonite is the weapon of choice if you want to clear your liquid post boil. It used to be available on the lek11 website.
mgll
Tipsy

Postby David 1963 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:25 am

The liquid does not get heated at any stage of production/fermentation. Having said that, a quick Google search reveals bentonite is used to clarify beer, cider and wine, so thank you. The next question is: where can I obtain the stuff in Bangkok?
David 1963

Postby mgll » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:31 am

I spoke with my cider brewing friend. He uses the lek 11 website to buy bentonite. He also said that you need to degas the cider and wine regularly as the fermentation nears completion. I guess particles won't drop out as long as co2 remains in the liquid during fermentation. He said he just carefully stirs the liquid to release the gas. Hope it helps.
mgll
Tipsy

Postby David 1963 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

mgll wrote:I spoke with my cider brewing friend. He uses the lek 11 website to buy bentonite. He also said that you need to degas the cider and wine regularly as the fermentation nears completion. I guess particles won't drop out as long as co2 remains in the liquid during fermentation. He said he just carefully stirs the liquid to release the gas. Hope it helps.

Most cider is carbonated, so how do you achieve this after getting rid of the gas? I'm aware you can add sugar to get a secondary fermentation going, but a lot of cider makers don't want to add ingredients like sugar.
David 1963

Postby mgll » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:05 pm

As far as I know he kegs his cider. When fermentation is almost complete he stirs it up to release the gas produced during fermentation.
mgll
Tipsy

Return to Alternative brews