Thai Water Chemistry - Bottled and RO

All discussions relating to AG go here

Thai Water Chemistry - Bottled and RO

Postby onesnzeros » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Has anyone here sent off their water to get tested yet?
Where can i send it to? How much is it?
I want to get my water chemistry mapped, even if i can get an average of say three different sources of RO water, find out what these machines are leaving behind… from time to time i'm assuming i get a bottle from a machine with a worn out membrane and my salt additions are way out of the ballpark… ok if it's a feckin huge double IPA, but i'm really doing my best to pull together some consistent and pale pale pale ales. Very frustrating from time to time. The mash pH is fine, but i just wanna get an idea of what these RO machines are leaving behind.

Also, on topic ish… I need to find some buffer solution to calibrate my pH meter.
I've found this…
http://thailandpoolshop.com/shop/water-testers/10set-ph-buffer-powder-ph-testmeasure-calibrat-solution-4-00-6-86ph-hysg/
and this…
http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/th/rea ... t-401.html
has anyone dealt with these companies before? or know where i can get bulk packets? 350 baht for 2 packets is just INSANE :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll have a pint, and another one
onesnzeros
Drunk

Re: Thai Water Chemistry - Bottled and RO

Postby onesnzeros » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:43 pm

oh by the way, i found this on the net, not sure if it's correct?
the analysis for Nestle Thailand Pure Life and Minere…
Last edited by onesnzeros on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:48 pm

------
Last edited by onesnzeros on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Nestle Pure Life
Minere

pH 6.5 – 8.5

Total hardness
80 – 90 mg/l
100 – 110 mg/l

Nitrate
< 0.4 mg/l
Nitrite
< 0.007 mg/l
Ammonium
< 0.013 mg/l
Manganese
< 0.010 mg/l

Calcium
20-30 mg/l

Magnesium
7-9 mg/l

Sulphate
<5 mg/l
60-70 mg/l

Chloride
2-4 mg/l
100-130 mg/l

Bicarbonate
200-300 mg/l

Copper
< 1 mg/l
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby rivetcatcher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Great post and that's interesting about the Nestle and Minere as I've been looking for this info. Also would love to know where I could get water tested. It makes a big difference to beer but it's something I've just ignored due to lack of known places to test. Please feedback if you find anywhere.

Rivet
Planning: Rivet Catcher Rev2, Rivets SNPA version 2
Brewing:
Conditioning: Rivet Catcher Rev1
Drinking:
Drank:All Grain Zombie Dust clone, Rivets SNPA
rivetcatcher
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Postby onesnzeros » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:16 pm

i just buy the reverse osmosis stuff now, depending on the style of beer - a few grams of calcium chloride and calcium sulphate are plenty. Maybe a pinch of iodine, a smidge of epsom salts. But the calcium is enough most of the time. If you're doing dark beers, it's possible the mash pH could drop a bit low with this type of profile. Minere is high in carbonates which can help the darker mashes - in this case i generally use 1 x 6L minere and mix it with my adjusted water. I haven't been doing many darker beers, so I haven't needed chalk or baking soda yet. I have a good pH meter that seems to be enough, but the calibration is out i know, i need to find some buffer solution, gotta find a pool shop or something.

I've since discovered it's possible to get water tested at your local water authority, not sure how much it is yet though. Give me a few weeks, maybe plus a few more (i'm on Thai time, and a teacher salary :( )
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby Bailorgana3 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 pm

onesnzeros wrote:i just buy the reverse osmosis stuff now, depending on the style of beer - a few grams of calcium chloride and calcium sulphate are plenty. Maybe a pinch of iodine, a smidge of epsom salts. But the calcium is enough most of the time. If you're doing dark beers, it's possible the mash pH could drop a bit low with this type of profile. Minere is high in carbonates which can help the darker mashes - in this case i generally use 1 x 6L minere and mix it with my adjusted water. I haven't been doing many darker beers, so I haven't needed chalk or baking soda yet. I have a good pH meter that seems to be enough, but the calibration is out i know, i need to find some buffer solution, gotta find a pool shop or something.

I've since discovered it's possible to get water tested at your local water authority, not sure how much it is yet though. Give me a few weeks, maybe plus a few more (i'm on Thai time, and a teacher salary :( )

Yeah let me know how that goes. I sent my water to the university in Nan where our farm is to get it tested. If all else fails I can send yours up there if you can get me a sample
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:19 am

yeah cheers, i'm really just (for now) interested in what the RO machines are leaving behind. On average i guess… everything is so dodgey here, i guess i'm happy enough to have ALE really :P mai bpen rain, allay goday… i think i'm turning Thai-nese, i really think so :P
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby mgll » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi all,

I've been using Sprinkle Water plus my own salt additions cos I always assumed it was stripped of everything (http://www.sprinkle-th.com/en/production.php). Might this not be the case?
mgll
Tipsy

Postby onesnzeros » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:46 pm

yeah from the blurb it should be.
i'd give it a go with a pH tester.
onesnzeros
Drunk

Next

Return to All grain brewing