Conditioning… what do you do?

All discussions relating to AG go here

Re: Conditioning… what do you do?

Postby onesnzeros » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 am

damn, you should pay some sucker to sit there slanting for you, sounds like you spend a bit on yeast.

that works out to 234 billion cells for for a 1.053 OG (18L) isn't too far overpitched… depending on what it is.
but personally, and generally, i think overpitching is overkill :P
in this case 190 billion would be adequate, for me, i should add.
but i'm just a homebrewer ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll have a pint, and another one
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby Bailorgana3 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:41 am

onesnzeros wrote:damn, you should pay some sucker to sit there slanting for you, sounds like you spend a bit on yeast.

that works out to 234 billion cells for for a 1.053 OG (18L) isn't too far overpitched… depending on what it is.
but personally, and generally, i think overpitching is overkill :P
in this case 190 billion would be adequate, for me, i should add.
but i'm just a homebrewer ;)

My wife helps me wash and re pitch and we have 2 vats just for cultures and im going to be setting up a yeast fridge this week with a few trays of petri dishes. the last batch today of our saison was pitched at about double that :P(thats not typical)
Thing takes off like a rocket he he.

By the way on the scale side of things , when i do pilot or hombrew batches myself i pitch a little lower than most and do a stepped temp fermentation.
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby David 1963 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:27 am

I have a habit of putting my beers in storage at Thai room temperatures for a long time (several years), especially if I'm not happy with the taste the first time around. I also do this in the hope the beer will "settle down" and become a bit less volatile when I open a bottle. This has led to some strange changes in my beers. I had a batch of dark brown ale turn very, very sweet. Another batch of the same beer stored elsewhere evolved into something dark, rich and very satisfying. Other beers tasted foul first time around and were just the same five years later.

This has also worked for other brews. I brewed a ginger beer from a kit that tasted rather unpleasant three weeks after bottling. Two years later, and it was the best alcoholic ginger beer I'd ever had.

I believe conditioning of beers is just as important as it is for wines. After all, the term "lager" originally referred to the storage of the beer rather than a recipe.
David 1963
Swaying round like a HomePro wardrobe!

Postby onesnzeros » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:38 pm

awesome post David!
yes, this is why many people say - never throw away a bad beer.
Unless it's infected i guess :P
I've had a couple of batches in the past that I thought were a real disappointment. Generally these beers have blossomed into something drinkable over time.
See my other thread "Hop Oil Biotransformation" also… some ideas in this thread lead nicely into that one…
http://www.homebrewthailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1311&sid=8815d1b648392ae4a036e524014c39b6
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby Bailorgana3 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:16 am

onesnzeros wrote:awesome post David!
yes, this is why many people say - never throw away a bad beer.
Unless it's infected i guess :P
I've had a couple of batches in the past that I thought were a real disappointment. Generally these beers have blossomed into something drinkable over time.
See my other thread "Hop Oil Biotransformation" also… some ideas in this thread lead nicely into that one…
http://www.homebrewthailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1311&sid=9d711e353e1ff0e61c2421fc94e6fdf5

Hell I even keep infected beer if storage allows. I've had a fantastic Brett infected version of our chocolate stout. Turned into a 14 percent brandy Esque mouth waterer . Man I love chocolate beers ha .
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:08 am

nice, yeah me too. Chocolate stouts and porters.
I'd actually like to try roasting my own chocolate grains sometime in the future.

How long would you condition a chocolate stout or porter for?
The flavour seems so go in waves with chocolate beers, I generally leave them in secondary for 3 weeks or so.
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby Bailorgana3 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:34 pm

I do three weeks then keg for most. Then cold condition a few days so there isn't any co2 bite. If it's something a bit boozy and I int want an alcoholic note , 6 weeks to three months. My main one with Nicaraguan cacao is fine in about 3 weeks but I do always save some and age it for kicks.
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:11 pm

nice nice… gotta love that Nicaraguan cacao :D i have no idea where mine comes from :( the bakery supply shop :P

(forever derailing threads) I'm thinking of doing a chocolate IPA, ever done something like this? I know it's not too uncommon an idea...
I'm wondering what kinds of hops could be used in bulk, in conjunction with chocolate grains? Any ideas? I have some Pacman i need to use up, might just knock something out with some Fuggles or Willamette.
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby Bailorgana3 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:20 pm

I tried a chocolate cda and used Magnum for neutral bittering and a bunch of late mosaic and a space of citra. Kind of an orange peel dark chocolate vibe. It was good but very rich. Not something I could do more than a pint or two of
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:28 pm

i don't have any citra, or magnum, but i could use amarillo and waimea, and horizon for bittering… not sure how that would go with the Mosaic… could get a nice dank choc-orange vibe going :D
onesnzeros
Drunk

Previous

Return to All grain brewing