Hop Compound Biotransformation

All discussions relating to AG go here

Hop Compound Biotransformation

Postby onesnzeros » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Call it synchronicity, but lately i've been testing this with heavily hopped ales, hopping around halfway through primary to see what flavours i can coax out of my yeasties. I just found this article, although brief, it basically covers what i've been trying to exbeerament with. At least the general subject anyway…

http://draftmag.com/hop-compound-biotransformation/

I'm very interested in this. If there was a beer university covering this exclusive aspect of micro-biology and chemistry, I'd be on campus right now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll have a pint, and another one
onesnzeros
Drunk

Re: Hop Compound Biotransformation

Postby rivetcatcher » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:16 am

That's an interesting read... Could also add a little weight behind what I was saying about the harshness of hops that seems to balance out over a given period, the yeast could actually play a part in that. Not saying it's the main reason but it could certainly contribute.

Good thing about this is that it's an easy one to experiment with at home.
Planning: Rivet Catcher Rev2, Rivets SNPA version 2
Brewing:
Conditioning: Rivet Catcher Rev1
Drinking:
Drank:All Grain Zombie Dust clone, Rivets SNPA
rivetcatcher
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Postby onesnzeros » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:37 pm

rivetcatcher wrote:...what I was saying about the harshness of hops that seems to balance out over a given period...

yes, shortly after reading your post i found this article, thought i'd make a new thread topic rather than diverting that subject :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:13 pm

ok, i've just finished an IPA (17L) where i've used about half a pound of various hops, some of the hops i chose due to their high oil content. It has been dry hopped approx 2/3rds into primary. Unfortunately i didn't have the time or space to split the batch into 2, so i could compare with a post-primary dry-hop, but i'm hoping that the batch after next i will be able to do so. It's definitely more dank than I'm used to.
onesnzeros
Drunk

Postby bilbofarang » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:17 am

Talking about IPA, and lot's of Hop's. How about the mother & father of all IPA's?

The best and hardest beer in the world to find is "Pliny the Elder", and even harder is "Pliny the Younger". Like to see these beer's ever make it to BKK, you don't even see them much near the source.

The creator and owner of "Russian River", maker of Pliny, wrote a full report on how to make this beer.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... bleIPA.pdf

Vinnie Cilurzo is owner and brewmaster at Russian River Brewing Co. in
Santa Rosa, Calif

Until we see Stone, Dogfish, or Russian-River in BKK, nobody has really seen 'craft-beer', Rogue, Deschutes are mega-corporations. 99% of the thai-brewer's have never heard of these brewery's, so their target isn't even in the right direction towards perfection in brewing.
bilbofarang
Sober

Postby rivetcatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:56 am

bilbofarang wrote:Until we see Stone, Dogfish, or Russian-River in BKK, nobody has really seen 'craft-beer', Rogue, Deschutes are mega-corporations. 99% of the thai-brewer's have never heard of these brewery's, so their target isn't even in the right direction towards perfection in brewing.

Stone is already here, it's available throughout Thailand now. I'm also sure I've seen Dogfish kicking around as well
Planning: Rivet Catcher Rev2, Rivets SNPA version 2
Brewing:
Conditioning: Rivet Catcher Rev1
Drinking:
Drank:All Grain Zombie Dust clone, Rivets SNPA
rivetcatcher
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Postby Bailorgana3 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:13 pm

I really like the substance buy Bissell Brothers and heady topper, in fact that you prefer the more than planet, not that point is bad. You'll never see planet here though because of the freshness required. I have seen a few dogfish Head bottles floating around. Also saw hopworks urban brewery(hub) at oglee when they flew a keg in.
Olly Olly Oxen Free
Bailorgana3
Drunk

Postby onesnzeros » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:41 pm

Stone is everywhere, must be a mega-corporation itself!!? It's pretty overrated in my humble opinion.
Would be nice to get some Russian River here in Thai.

Anyway, my latest exBeerament in hop oil biotransformation is AMAZING!
It has the LOOOOOONGest lasting head of any IPA i've ever seen. Quite the spectacle.
onesnzeros
Drunk

Return to All grain brewing