My first ag,s by wobblyboot aka mrchokchai

All discussions relating to AG go here

My first ag,s by wobblyboot aka mrchokchai

Postby WobblyBoot » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:47 pm

i have now done 2 ag brews and i made a hash of the first not really knowing what to expect. i have a simple rig gas burner, big pot 40l i think it is, made a copper heat transferrer, bought an underwater aquarium pump to run that, made a manifold out of stainsless steel (i used one of those stainsless steel gate making guys for this, got a 100l thai style esky for mash, got 2 plastice fermenters, 3 kegs and a big plastic bin covered in silver insulation as me cooling system and it sereves ice cold beer ( i am aussie). thats about it.

now i wont bore you with my in can and clone from bottle stories just my ag.

my first one was a failure and i would have given up if i stuffed up number 2 but I DID NOT.

with my first brew the manifold got blocked as i did not understand a simple thing. i mashed in and out at good temps but when i started to sparge i turned on my tap and out the wart started to flow. all good i thought so i put my first 2l back in tun and was just starting to add the water from my pot at 80c using a saucepan and it was going good. i then thought why not just dump all the water in and open the tap up some more (i know ahhhhh) but it is what i did. remember only decided to ag as a last minute whim. so the grain bed went everywhere and the mani did not have enough slots in it and it blocked. i ended out scooping the grain out and putting it thru a strainer untill it finally finished off flowing for the last 10 liter. after the boil it ended out around 1.030 so at the end of boil i added some left over dme i had to raise flavor. it finished at 1.045 so was ok. i tasted the wort just prior to bottling and it had a lot of bittering flavors but will see once it has conditioned.

so 1 week after my stuff up and a lot of reading and a new improved manifold with more slots cut into it it is ag2 time. there i am thinking if i sttuf this one up i am never going to be a brewer and it is dme and crystal for me for ever. but i went out and bought a little watering can and away we go. mashed in and out at good temps. here we go open the tap reasonable flow rate capture 2 lieters then get some fresh water into watering can. all ok heartpounding. starting watering my grain bed and i see in that instance how it should be. wort is flowing clean and very very malty looking. now heart has slowed i add back my fisrt 2l with my next lot of sparge water at 80c and keep going like this for the next 26l. by the end the wort was nearly clear and i did my boil and finished 1.055.

thats all i got but i now cannot stop thinking about brewing. its awsome. ohhh i tasted my 2nd ag as i kegged and wow man. it is very very tasty cannot wait untill my 4 week hitch on at work is done so i can come hame and try it. i will just try one or two of the bottles that was left over after kegging but i will wait on the keeg till my next hitch is done (if i can) and that should make it 3.5 months old. ohhh one more thing i am live fermenting in my kegs, i do not know why but i just wanted to.

WobblyBoot.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (218.78 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
brewing- ipa, dark wheat, 2 golden ales
drinking- ipa, white wheat, golden ale
planning- refining my brews!
WobblyBoot
Tipsy

Re: My first ag,s by wobblyboot aka mrchokchai

Postby rivetcatcher » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:13 am

Nice little setup there, Im just looking at your wort chiller and wondering how its working, I know you have a pump but are you putting ice in the bin to cool the water down. The reason Im asking is because when I use mine the water that is used to cool goes down the drain and is super hot.

Rivet
Planning: Rivet Catcher Rev2, Rivets SNPA version 2
Brewing:
Conditioning: Rivet Catcher Rev1
Drinking:
Drank:All Grain Zombie Dust clone, Rivets SNPA
rivetcatcher
Ive only jusht met you shh-weetheart but I sh-ink I love shoe

Postby WobblyBoot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 am

yeah mate i use a submersible pump in my green bucket there and it is full of ice, 2 big bags and the water goes round and roundthe ice never melts out and i keep me beers cool in there while i brew. ;)

i just bought thin copper pipe from do home and it was already in circle form and i just got pot(cylidrical thing) the right size and tightended it up a bit. i had visions of this perfect welded thigy all square etc but now i like me haphazard model. it sort of suits me i think.

it cools 25l of wort in under 10 mins maybe even as quick as 5.

wobbly
WobblyBoot
Tipsy

Postby rivetcatcher » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am

It's a good idea, saves water and cools much quicker than using water from the tap. How much are those aquarium pumps?
Brewing:
Drinking:
rivetcatcher

Postby WobblyBoot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:35 pm

ummm it varies but i bought a pretty good one usa company and it was 1200 i think.

bit expensive but i did not want ti going south half way thru either.

long term project this brewing ;)

wobbly
WobblyBoot
Tipsy

Postby WobblyBoot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm

rivit if you look closely at the bucket you can see the ice/water level.

when you start to cool and you still have 2 or 3 cans on ice do not let your kids hose the return hot water in(once cool enough to touch of course) as they spray the cans and you have to fish em out later.

wobbly
WobblyBoot
Tipsy

Postby rivetcatcher » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Do you have a pic and model of your pump, what connections did you use? I might give it a try....

Rivet
Brewing:
Drinking:
rivetcatcher

Postby WobblyBoot » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 pm

yeah mate i will be back in los on the 30th i will send ya all the details then.

back to work but dreaming brewing

wobbly
WobblyBoot
Tipsy

Postby rivetcatcher » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:47 pm

me too, im stuck offshore dreaming..... plotting an Amarillo hopped pale ale next 8-)
Brewing:
Drinking:
rivetcatcher

Postby badlee » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:17 pm

I want some of that amarillo heaven!
Drinking: 3 way Belgian split/CPC
Conditioning: dunkel honig weizen